engine line up steam tractor

Keeping ploughing engines, implements  and skills alive

Contact the Club

Steam Plough Club

Home News
Hands on Weekend
Steam Plough Models
membership Club Sales Links Members Area     Who's  Who

© Steam Plough Club 2019

Steam Plough Club, Woodside, Roadwater, Watchet, Somerset, TA23 0RG

Registered in England and Wales, Company No. 07750299

John Fowler’s 150th Anniversary

Monument  in South Park Darlington

 all photographs copyright Steam Plough Club

Fowler Story Board


11 July 1826 – 4 December 1864

The 150th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest engineers and inventors of the Victorian era – John Fowler - was commemorated on Saturday 27th September by the unveiling of an information board beside the Fowler Monument in South Park, Darlington.

The Friends of South Park and the Steam Plough Club designed and funded the board which summarises the achievements of John Fowler and the Company that he founded. The worshipful the Mayor of Darlington, Councillor Gerald Lee, officiated and guest speakers were Chris Lloyd - local historian and sub editor of the Northern Echo, and Dick Eastwood - secretary of the Steam Plough Club. The MC was Sandra Simpson of the Friends of South Park.

Marie Hirst (FOSP), Peter Longfoot and Dick Eastwood researched and designed the contents of the board.

The massive block of red Shap Fell granite was originally topped by a bronze model of a steam plough, on a bronze plinth decorated with sheaves of corn and laurel wreaths in relief, made by the metal founders Elkington & Co., Birmingham. It was first erected in the grounds of the home of Henry Pease - South Pierremont Gardens – and was moved to South Park around 1890. John Fowler’s wife, Elizabeth Pease, was Henry Pease’s niece.  The bronze model that once sat on top of the plinth disappeared in 1979 after the monument was vandalised. It was never recovered.

Left to right: Mayoress Mrs. Ruth Lee , Mathew Rawlings, Mayor of Darlington – Councillor Gerald Lee, Peter Longfoot, Dick Eastwood

Click on the image above to see details of the story board

The plinth as it is now

Northern Echo  29 September 2014