Fowler 14HP wrought iron engines. Originally known as "The New 14" Probably about 1878-1882. Distinguished by 5' rear wheels, double salters and wrought iron box carrying crank assembly. Also tank steering. Photo Oct 20th 1913. (Holkham Singles)
Fabulous Scene. Slanting-shaft Engine, Plough, Water Cart & Horses plus 'Family/crew' (235)
Fowler 14HP SC number 3212 of 1887 when with E.J. Homewood & Sons, Newchurch. Ex. W. Nye, Aldington. LH engine. (Photo: J. Russell 1933)
Fowler BB1 15437 of 1920 Double-speed plough gear. Left L. Lea Ploughman, J. Skeet Foreman, F. Ingles Driver
Tiny Tim Fowler BB1 NR 77 No.15226 of 1918 with plough
Right engine is Aveling & Porter 8hp ZTD of 1918. Keeping company with Fowler BB 14709 on left. Owned by Ralph Savage of Risely, Bedfordshire
Fowler BB 13776 "Heroine" and Fowler BB 13777 "Hero" with plough, living van and cultivator in tow
Possibly Fowler BB 14708 on right. Left engine is Fowler BB 14709 (NM 504?). Centre engine is Aveling & Porter 8hp ZTD of 1918.
Unidentified Fowler PE in J & W Gower Yard
Unidentified collection of seven engines. Registration of centre engine is NR(K) 9. Right engine (Showman?) is fitted with canopy
Fowler AA7 15358 or 15359 (NK 1193 or NK 1194) of 1919 LH. Taking on water and laden with sacks of coal before starting work
Fowler AA7 class engines 15364/5 ‘Windsor’ and ‘Sandringham’ in 1950-1951
Peter Hammond, on the bicycle, contacted the Club from Norfolk with information on this pair of engines. He suggested that they were ‘Prince’ and ‘Princess’ but they have since been identified as ‘Windsor’ (foreground) and ‘Sandringham’ numbers 15364 and 15365, 18hp AA7 class engines built in 1919, owned by John Patten of Little Hadham. The engines were initially called ‘Pat’ and ‘Fan’ but their names were changed around 1950. The engines are pictured in 1950-1951 when at Shingwell Aerodrome, Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, where they were engaged in pulling up the coconut mats that had been laid to create a training aerodrome using a cultivator with two tynes down. Peter also recalls that Fowler AA7 class engines 15362 and 15363 ‘Lion’ and ‘Tiger’ built in 1919 were present and using a mole drainer to pull out buried cables. His father drove ‘Lion’ from 1926 until 1960 when the pair was sold to J.W. Hardwick & Sons.
‘Windsor’ and ‘Sandringham’, Fowler BB 14383 and 14384, set off to work at Shingwell Aerodrome, Sawbridgeworth, Herts.
Barford Windlass at Acton Quarry near Long Melford, Sussex. (See SPT Issue 133)
Fowler Z7 No. 16720. Slide valves, long cab, 2-speed plough gear. L/H view showing widening rings for rear wheels. Owned by Bomford & Evershed, Salford Priors, Worcs. Pic taken 1951.