Pair of PEs under canvas. Right engine number plate is NK 1193 (Darby & Joan?) John Patten's Yard. Hall Farm, Little Hadham, Herts.
Burrell Single Crank Compound 16 n.h.p. Universal Side Drum PE No.2890 Reg. CE 8731 of 1907. Flywheel on right, Winding Drum on left. Registered to George Flack, Orwell, Cambs. Scrapped in 1939
Fowler AA7 class number 16053, EB 5518, “John” of 1925 photo’d in May 1986 by Harold J. Clark
AA038 7 Furrow Balance Plough at the 1st Great Challenge, Upper Boddington, 1994. Matthew Rawlings steersman (Photo- Dick Blenkinsop)
Fowler AA7 number 16064 of 1928. Photo taken in 1968 at Orwell, Cambridgeshire. (Harold J. Clark photo)
Fowler AA7 number 16063 of 1928. Photograph taken in 1968 at Orwell, Cambridgeshire. (Harold J. Clark photo)
AL 180 Fowler K7 number 16646 of 1926 “Jack of Herts”.
Photo taken in 1982. (Harold J. Clark photo)
Fowler K7 number 17756 of 1933. Photo taken in 1978. (Harold J. Clark photo)
Fowler 14267 of 1914. Bomford & Evershed diesel conversion (engine in tender). Photo March 1973. [Harold Clark Collection]
Fowler K7 number 17757 of 1933. Photo taken in 1978.
(Harold J. Clark photo)
Fowler Motor Cable PE 18600 or 18601 of 1929.
Photo’d 1991 at Faldingworth, Lincs. [Harold Clark Collection]
Members Brian Albon and John Price have confirmed the engine featured as Fowler 18600 while in the ownership of the Nicholson Brothers of Faldingworth, Lincolnshire.
At the sale of this and sister engine 18601, in October 1999, they were advertised as Diesel Ploughing Engines. The catalogue stated that Lot number 1239, engine number 18600, was right handed and fitted with a five cylinder National Gas & Oil Company engine coupled with the original Fowler transmission. The left hand motor cable engine in the auction, number 18601, was Lot 1238 and was fitted with a Deutz six cylinder engine with original Fowler transmission.
The records show 18600 and sister engine 18601 were supplied to cable Cultivating Contractors Ltd., in 1929 with 150hp petrol engines and became their No.3 Set. Both now survive in Worcestershire. It is not known when the diesel conversions took place.
Many thanks to Brian and John
John Allen number 67 of 1913. Photograph taken in 1991 [Harold Clark Collection]
Fowler 14hp Single number 1642 of 1871.
Photographed in September 1971. [Harold Clark Collection]
A member has identified the location of this photo as Stourpaine Bushes – the original site of the Great Dorset Steam Fair. He remembers the setting as he had his BB1 there towards the end of the 70’s.
McLaren number 112 of 1881. With Fowler double-drum windlass for roundabout ploughing. Photographed when with Hills & Checksfield, Burmarsh, in August 1950. (Photo: G. Eastes)
Fowler 10HP Horizontal Shaft PE number 1149 of 1869 at P.C. Stickels, Newchurch, Romney Marsh, Kent. The Left Hand engine.
(Photo: J. Russell)
Fowler 10HP Horizontal Shaft PE number 1149 of 1869 at P.C. Stickels, Newchurch, Romney Marsh, Kent. RH Engine.
(Photo: R. Wailes)
Fowler 12HP SC number 1188 of 1869 when with Link Brothers, Newchurch, Romney Marsh, Kent. Reboilered by OSPC for Link Brothers.
(Photo: R. Wailes & J. Russell)
Fowler 8HP SC number 2968 of 1876 when with Clark Maylem (Maylam) & Sons, Lenham, Kent.
(Photo R. Wailes & J. Russell)
Unidentified Single Cylinder engine drawing plough and large wheel press
Fowler 2620 of 1875. It is believed the Fowler parts were used by Burrell's of Thetford to build as a 16HP SCC, possibly on an Aveling & Porter boiler?
Fowler Singles in Beeby's yard, Rempstone
Fowler BB1 Class number 15183 new in 1918 to Watson & Haig.
Photo taken when owned by Bomford & Wilkins / Bomford & Carr at Coate Water, Swindon, 05/03/1961